Subscribe to updates by email:

Thursday, March 14, 2013

never forget to advocate with grace.


i got sent home from my chemo appointment yesterday.
no, it was not because of poor behavior,
i was a perfect lady.
my absolute neutrophil count was low,
an element of my complete white blood cell count.
this was disappointing on many levels.
once chemotherapy is begun, its common to want to get it done with.
more though the emotional preparation it took to get there.
asking my parents to take hazel, packing of multiple bags full with snacks, magic charms, i pod, clothing that gives easy access to port by way of wide neckline, ball of sunshine, sister in tow, on and on.
we quelled our sorrows by going to the community cancer center
for a free yoga class. actually quite nice. pretty amazing place.
and then to michaels craft store to hoard earring findings and beads.
i got home so crabby matt and i got in bed for a nap and after asking my parents to keep hazel for the night (a super treat for her) we slept until 6:30pm.
the advocacy?
get this.
last week when i did not get chemo because i was sick, i did get a blood draw and see dr liu.
this week i was instructed by her
and received a reminder print-out that i should arrive at 8am for my blood draw and 9am for my infusion.
when i arrived at the lab they did not have a req for my draw.
what they did have was a piece of paper that read
'dr liu says to use the lab report from last week"
naturally i did not feel comfortable with this.
i know my levels can change quickly and that there was no way i could count on them being the same as last week.
it took me a little while to convince the staff that even though their piece of paper said i did not need a drew did in fact need one.
so they paged a doctor,
and i called up to the oncology department.
eventually i got my req.
this took about an hour.
the kicker?
last week my NEUT was 3.2, healthy range is 1.5-7.2
this week it was 1.3
the receptionist told me it was too low to do chemo.
in fact it was quite dangerous.
one could end up in the hospital (where i already was but you understand)
for receiving chemo on top of such low counts.
you make the connection.
p.s. will someone else write an update for me?
caryn.

No comments:

Post a Comment